Choosing the best dishwashing detergent is important if you run a commercial kitchen, restaurant, cafeteria, school, or hotel. You can be easily overwhelmed with numerous choices so you need to have the right information to help you determine which product is best for your needs.
Follow our following tips to ensure that you choose the best dishwashing detergent for your unique business needs.
Choose the Best Dishwashing Detergent for Your Business
Tip #1: Important Decision on Phosphates
When looking for a commercial dishwashing detergent, you have to be able to answer this question: to phosphate or not?
Phosphate is an inorganic chemical that is widely used for cleaning products like laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent. It has been an essential ingredient of all detergents for so many years. However, scientists discovered that their runoff is harmful to the environment once they reach streams and lakes. Hence, they are no longer used as an ingredient for retail consumer products. However, they are still used for commercial products.
Phosphates are not good for the environment but one cannot deny that they are extremely effective cleaning agents. In fact, many businesses still prefer using cleaners with phosphates because of their cleaning power.
If you run a business and you’re looking for a commercial dishwashing agent, you have to first determine if you want to use phosphates.
Tip #2: Know Your Equipment
To choose the best dishwashing detergent, you need to fully know your equipment. Is your equipment automatic?
Most businesses now use automatic dishwashers. However, some items in your collection will still be best maintained if cleaned by hand.
To get the most out of your chosen dishwashing detergent, it would be easy if you would opt for one that is compatible with almost all kinds of automatic commercial dishwashers. However, it’s best to check-out your dishwasher’s manual. In it, you will duly be instructed as to the list of dishwashing ingredients or brands that are safe for use on your dishwasher.
Tip #3: Learn About Rinse Additives
You need to know a thing or two about rinse additives. A rinse additive adds surface tension to water. When your rinsing water has enough tension, there will be no white residue that builds up on utensils, glassware, and dishes when they dry up after being washed. Rinse additives are popular because they make glassware look sparkling clean all the time due to the surface tension that it adds to water.
Businesses that don’t use dishwashing detergents with no phosphate will greatly benefit if they will have a rinse additive integrated into their dishwashing workflow. This is because using dishwashing detergents with no phosphate increases the presence of white residue in dishes. A phosphate-free rinse additive is effective in making dishes look sparkling clean and clear.
Tip # 4: Buy Wholesale
Once you’ve decided on what dishwashing detergent to use, you should always opt to buy in bulk. Buying in bulk allows for more discounts and efficient workflow scheduling. You can even opt to buy by the pallet to ensure that your business is always equipped with needed products every month.
Highly Recommended Popular Dishwashing Products That You Should Consider
Number one commercial dishwasher suppliers recommend the following stellar products that have been working well with their clients:
#1 Detergent without Phosphates
You should check out DESTAIN – Commercial Dishwasher Liquid. It is free from phosphates and boasts of a bio-degradable mixture. It is a low-sudsing liquid detergent that is perfect for commercial machines. It’s best when used with liquid dispensers or detergent pumps.
#2 Detergent without Phosphates for Dishwashers with No Automatic Equipment
SUPER SX Commercial Dishwasher Powder is perfect for non-automatic dishwashers. It is phosphate-free, bio-degradable, and low sudsing. It has a stellar compound mixture perfect for commercial use. Users recommend this product because it is gentle on the hands.
It is highly effective in removing grease and residue while being friendly and safe for the environment. When paired with a rinse additive, every dish and utensil truly sparkle and shine all the time. As it is very safe and gentle, some users even utilize it for gentle cleaning tasks like floor mopping and car-washing.
#3 Rinse Additive
SPOT FREE Rinse Aid is highly popular because it effectively eliminates streaking and watermarks after drying. It also allows for faster drying. With this product, all your dishes will be free of unwanted residue that keeps them from looking sparkling clean and clear. It is perfect for businesses in the catering industry and fine dining industry that have tables set with fine china and wine glasses.
This product ensures that no fine dining restaurant will lose a good reputation or feel embarrassed over customers complaining of residue on dishes. Having this environment-friendly rinse additive ensures that all dishes will forever be sparkly after washing.
Types of Dishwashing Detergents
There are several types of dishwashing detergents available on the market. Here are some of the most common types:
- Liquid Dishwashing Detergent: Liquid detergents are the most commonly used type of dishwashing detergent. They are available in various scents and formulas, and are designed to be used in both manual and automatic dishwashers. Liquid dishwashing detergents are typically mild and gentle on the hands, making them a popular choice for home use.
- Dishwashing Powder: Dishwashing powders are dry detergents that are activated when they come in contact with water. They are highly effective at removing grease and grime from dishes but can be messy to use. Dishwashing powders are typically more abrasive than liquid detergents, making them a better choice for tough stains and burnt-on food.
- Dishwashing Gel: Dishwashing gels are similar to liquid detergents but have a thicker consistency. They are designed to cling to dishes and utensils, providing a longer cleaning time. Dishwashing gels are typically more expensive than liquid detergents but are more effective at removing stubborn stains.
- Dishwashing Tablets: Dishwashing tablets are pre-measured doses of detergent that are convenient and easy to use. They are designed to dissolve quickly in water, providing a powerful cleaning action. Dishwashing tablets are typically more expensive than other types of detergents but are a popular choice for their convenience.
- Eco-Friendly Dishwashing Detergent: Eco-friendly dishwashing detergents are formulated with natural ingredients and are free from harsh chemicals that can be harmful to the environment. They are typically available in liquid or powder form and are biodegradable and safe for use in septic systems.
When choosing a dishwashing detergent, consider your specific needs and preferences. Factors such as cleaning power, ease of use, and price should all be taken into account. Additionally, be sure to choose a detergent that is compatible with your dishwasher to ensure optimal performance.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Dishwashing Detergent
When choosing a dishwashing detergent, there are several factors to consider:
- Cleaning Power: One of the most important factors to consider is the cleaning power of the detergent. Look for a detergent that is effective at removing tough stains and grease, and is suitable for your specific dishwashing needs.
- Compatibility: Make sure the detergent you choose is compatible with your dishwasher or washing equipment. Check the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure the detergent is safe for use in your machine.
- Cost: Consider the cost of the detergent and choose a product that fits within your budget. Keep in mind that cheaper detergents may not be as effective, and you may end up using more products, which could result in higher costs in the long run.
- Scent: Choose a detergent with a scent that you enjoy, or opt for a scent-free product if you prefer. However, keep in mind that scented detergents may not be suitable for those with sensitive skin or allergies.
- Packaging Size: Consider the size of the detergent packaging and how frequently you will need to purchase it. Buying in bulk or larger sizes may save you money in the long run.
- Environmental Impact: If you are concerned about the environment, choose a detergent that is eco-friendly and biodegradable. Look for products that are free from phosphates, chlorine, and other harmful chemicals.
- Brand Reputation: Choose a reputable brand that is known for producing high-quality dishwashing detergents. Read customer reviews and ratings to help you make an informed decision.
By considering these factors, you can choose a dishwashing detergent that is effective, affordable, and suitable for your specific needs.
What are phosphates, and why are they no longer used in retail consumer products?
Phosphates are inorganic chemicals that have been used in cleaning products like laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent for many years. However, scientists discovered that their runoff is harmful to the environment once they reach streams and lakes. Hence, they are no longer used as an ingredient for retail consumer products. However, they are still used for commercial products.
Are dishwashing detergents with phosphates more effective than those without?
Yes, phosphates are extremely effective cleaning agents, and many businesses still prefer using cleaners with phosphates because of their cleaning power. However, businesses should weigh the benefits of cleaning power against the potential harm to the environment.
Can I use any dishwashing detergent with my automatic dishwasher?
No, it’s important to check your dishwasher’s manual for a list of dishwashing ingredients or brands that are safe for use on your dishwasher. Using the wrong detergent could damage your machine or produce poor cleaning results.
What are rinse additives, and why are they important?
Rinse additives add surface tension to water, which prevents white residue from building up on utensils, glassware, and dishes when they dry up after being washed. Rinse additives are popular because they make glassware look sparkling clean all the time due to the surface tension that it adds to water. Using a rinse additive is especially important if you use dishwashing detergents without phosphates, as this increases the presence of white residue in dishes.
Are eco-friendly dishwashing detergents as effective as regular detergents?
Yes, eco-friendly dishwashing detergents are formulated with natural ingredients and are free from harsh chemicals that can be harmful to the environment. They are typically available in liquid or powder form and are biodegradable and safe for use in septic systems.
Can I save money by buying dishwashing detergent in bulk?
Yes, buying in bulk allows for more discounts and efficient workflow scheduling. You can even opt to buy by the pallet to ensure that your business is always equipped with needed products every month.
How do I know if a dishwashing detergent is safe for use in my septic system?
Look for products that are labeled as septic-safe, or check with the manufacturer to ensure that the detergent is safe for use in your septic system.
How often should I purchase dishwashing detergent for my business?
This depends on the size of your business and how often you wash dishes. Buying in bulk or larger sizes may save you money in the long run, but be sure to keep track of your usage to avoid running out of detergent during peak times.
To come up with the best dishwasher detergent, you should do your proper research. Take note of our tips and make it a point to integrate them as you make a very important business decision that will greatly affect not just your operational productivity but your reputation as well.
Do you want to be environment-friendly? Do you want to have a reputation of high hygienic standards? Do you want your dishes, glassware, and wine glasses looking pristine and sparkling clean all the time?
Come up with a solid answer on the following. Once you have the answers, you may then be able to choose a dishwasher detergent accordingly.