This is for those working people who rarely get an opportunity to have a breakfast of their liking. Because in the working days they just have to gobble foods to start for their working places in time.
But in the holidays they expect some special kind of food. What better you could ask for if you’re offered waffles in breakfast. There are many types of waffles and among them, Belgian waffles are the most beloved food from Belgium. I don’t mean to say that you have to travel to Belgium to get the taste of this food. You can easily make this kind of waffles at home using some very common ingredients and simple appliances as well.
What are the Belgian Waffles?
Belgian Waffles is an authentic mouth-watering kind of dessert preferred by people of all ages. This crispy and golden colored dish is topped with delicious chocolate or strawberry flavored juice including a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream.
Moreover, you may add some dry fruits for garnishing. This sweet dish is not only taken in breakfast but it can be relished in parties with your family and the near and dear ones. Let’s have a try to prepare this sugary dish at your home all by yourself.
The Necessary Ingredients
Here the ingredients that are essential to prepare Belgian waffles at your home.
- 1 package of dry and active yeast.
- 300 grams of flour.
- 50 grams of sugar.
- 120 ml of melted butter.
- 470 ml of lukewarm milk.
- 5ml of vanilla.
- 0.25 grams of ground nutmeg.
- 0.25 grams of cinnamon.
- 0.1 grams of salt.
- 2 egg whites.
- 2 egg yolks.
- 120 ml of water.
Now after having all the ingredients, it is time to follow the process in steps so that could help you to prepare some perfect Belgian waffles by your own effort.
Making The Batter
- At first, take a large mixing bowl and pour ½ cup of water, 2 tsp of sugar, and 1 pkg of dry yeast into it and mix them properly using a whisk and leave it for 5 minutes in the room temperature.
- Now add the flour, rest of the sugar, and the milk into the bowl. The boiled milk should be left for sometimes until it becomes lukewarm and then you can mix it to the batter.
- Add rest of the ingredients leaving egg whites behind into the batter. The egg whites are kept in a separate bowl for further use. Using oil instead of butter makes the waffles crispier.
- Mix all the ingredients using the whisk properly to make sure there are no lumps or dry spots left and the batter must look smooth. As this is an important part of the whole process, using an electric mixer should be the best idea to blend the ingredients properly.
- Cover the bowl with a wrap and keep the mixture in the room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Now the egg whites are beaten with the whisk properly until they are foamy. Keep on the process until they become stiff and sticky. If you want to get some light and fluffy waffles then you must not ignore this step.
- Take a spoon or a rubber spatula and scoop the foamy egg whites to the risen batter when the time limit of 30 minutes is over.
- Mix the egg whites evenly with the batter using spatula by turning the batter upside down. This is how the batter is made and now it needs to be baked using a waffle iron to get the best result.
Baking The Batter
- Take the waffle iron and before start pouring the batter preheat the machine up to medium heat and then turn off the power. Now fill the waffle iron with the batter up to the edges. Make sure they don’t be overflowed. Close the lid and turn on the power.
- Allow the batter to be baked for 5 minutes. But a minute before you have to check the color of the waffles, if they are golden brown then you should start removing them.
Topping and Garnishing
If your waffles are baked then you have to go for the final dressing of the dish to add some extra taste and also to look better. In most cases, people love to add homemade buttermilk syrup as the top of the waffles.
Apart from this, those who love to get some fruity flavor may add berries, sliced banana including whipped cream, maple syrup or chocolate syrup. If you’re looking for some meaty flavor then you should add baked bacon with the waffles.
Keeping The Waffles Warm
After preparing this mouth-watering dish you need to keep it warm at least for 30 minutes before serving. To make this possible, you have to place the waffles after pulling out of the iron into a 200°F oven. You have to lineup the cooked waffles on a baking sheet into the oven to keep the edges of the waffles crispy.
Keeping Waffles for A Longer Period
Sometimes you have to keep the cooked waffles for a few days. In that case, you need to freeze the waffles keeping them into large Ziploc bag after removing air from inside the bag. When you need to serve them, you have to place them into an oven and warm them until they become crispy again. I can ensure you that you’ll get the taste as good as the fresh ones.
The Final Words Weekends are always considered as A merry time for those have to go through a tough time during the weekdays. And the days become merrier if you’re served them outh-watering, delicious Belgian waffles in breakfasts. It is always a pleasure for us to be appreciated for preparing a good dish. What if you try your hand to make this? Who can say you’ll not be the winner ahead of the professionals? Good luck!!
Can I make Belgian waffles gluten-free?
Yes, you can make gluten-free Belgian waffles by substituting all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Make sure to choose a blend specifically designed for baking to achieve the desired texture and taste.
How can I make vegan Belgian waffles?
To make vegan Belgian waffles, you can replace the eggs with a flaxseed or chia seed mixture (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed or chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons of water for each egg). Additionally, use plant-based milk and vegan butter or oil instead of dairy products.
Can I use alternative sweeteners in the waffle batter?
Yes, you can use alternative sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, or coconut sugar instead of regular sugar in the waffle batter. Keep in mind that different sweeteners may slightly alter the taste and texture of the waffles.
Are Belgian waffles suitable for freezing and reheating?
Yes, Belgian waffles freeze well. Once they have cooled completely, place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, simply pop them in the toaster or warm them in a preheated oven until crispy.
Can I make mini Belgian waffles?
Yes, you can make mini Belgian waffles by using a mini waffle iron or by pouring less batter into each section of the waffle iron. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure they are cooked through.
In conclusion, Belgian waffles are a delightful and versatile breakfast treat that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. With simple ingredients and basic kitchen appliances, you can easily recreate the crispy and golden waffles at home. Whether you prefer a classic topping like homemade buttermilk syrup or want to get creative with berries, whipped cream, or savory additions like bacon, Belgian waffles offer endless possibilities for customization.