Are you in search of ways to have a more spacious countertop? Kitchens are often the most commonly used area of the house; however, it is also the smallest.
The introduction of over-the-range microwaves in the market has been a relief to many homeowners. However, choosing one is a lot more challenging.
We aim to help make the purchasing decision easy for you. So, in this article, we gathered the best over the range microwave this 2023.
Our Top Choices for OTR Microwave Ovens
Now that you have the basic ideas on what attributes to take into account when choosing the right over the range microwave for your kitchen, below are five of the best over the range microwave we have meticulously gathered and researched for you.
1. Frigidaire FGMV176NTF 30″ Gallery Series (Rating: 4.3)
The Frigidaire FGMV176NTF microwave has more than 30 cooking alternatives and has a sensor cook that automatically adjusts the level of power without additional input. If the food is still not warm, you can even access an EffortlessTM Reheat with a single button.
If all of that is still too hard, use the Sensor Cook option, and the microwave adjusts the power and cooking times automatically based on the prepared dish. Two people will not have to fight to use the microwave, because the SpaceWise rack can microwave at least two plates simultaneously.
- With the Effortless Clean Interior surface, remove and wipe down spills from your microwave easily.
- The microwave calibrates power and cooking times automatedly to cook a range of items without too much effort.
- Make food preparation, and cooking easy with LED lighting, giving a bright and luminous view of the cooktop.
- SpaceWise Rack generates more space so that you can simultaneously cook several meals.
- Easy-to-use buttons for cooking that enable you to add 30 seconds with a single press of a button.
- Big bowls and big dishes of casserole are not a problem for this huge turntable glass. It rotates to create a uniformly cooked meal.
- Constant beeping even when the timer has stopped.
2. GE JNM3163DJBB Over-the-Range Microwave (Rating: 4.2)
GE JNM3163DJBB is a 950 watt 1.6 cubic meter model with a controller keyboard that is simple to use and easy to understand. This system provides six pre-programmed cooking functions to manage some of your favorites on a single touch.
Auto frosting and reheating functionalities reduce power output so you don’t overcook food you would like to warm up but don’t want to cook. If you do not want one-touch controls, you can use standard energy configurations, and you can also switch off the turntable operation.
This GE microwave model is available in silver, black, and white, making it a multifunctional design for all kitchens. This model includes a 2-speed ventilation mechanism to prevent smoke and steam from stovetop cooking and a light touch control system to supply over the lighting of the stove.
The sleek appearance on the outside of the microwave blends with other kitchen appliances, and the color options guarantee that this device is suitable for any variety of kitchen colors.
- For maximum results, Auto and Time Defrost are configured manually or automatically.
- The integrated two-speed, 300 CFM ventilation system helps to improve the quality of the kitchen air by removing fumes, heat, and odors from your stove.
- Cooking controls electronically and conveniently make this oven fast and straightforward to operate.
- Switching on / off is perfect for uniformly cooking results or accommodating excessive meals that may not spin completely.
- Optional night lighting is provided by cooktop illumination over the spectrum.
- You may choose the appropriate amount of ventilation from 2 variable fan preset modes.
- A replaceable carbon filter removes oil and other impurities from the air.
- For bigger cooking jobs, this device is maybe a little underpowered.
- This unit has a warranty limited to a year.
- Do not allow baking.
3. Farberware FMO16AHTBSA 1300-Watt Microwave Oven (Rating: 3.9)
With the Farberware Black 1.6 cu, introduce a sense of class to your kitchen. The sleek, premium Black Stainless Steel design of the Farberware Black Microwave Ovens raises the traditional stylish look, with a lighter and warmer structure, to minimize fingerprints, slugs, and other unpleasant marks. Smart sensor cooking enables you to start preparing menu options and reheat meals with accuracy.
Its advanced inverter precision cooking technology ensures that nutrients are not overcooked and lost. A power save method can save your energy in the absence of the microwave. Events like 1-3-minute start-up features, 30-second control button, ten levels of power control, inverter defrost, and memory function can guess food preparations.
The multiple-stage cooking feature adjusts the mid-cycle cooking rate so that an ideal result is achieved. 6 One-touch cooking software lets you in seconds warm-up everyday products. Other functionalities include an easy-to-use tidy inside with a purple LED display, a kitchen timer and a clock, and a children’s safety lock.
- Innovative Inverter Cooking Precision Technology helps to prevent excessive cooking and nutrient loss.
- Multi-stage kitchen functionality adjusts the mid-cycle cooking level to ensure a smooth finish.
- 6 One-touch cooking systems enable you to warm regular meals within seconds.
- The elegant Black Stainless Steel structure elevates the traditional tubular metal image to a lighter and hotter texture, helping to decrease fingerprints, stains, and other unwanted features.
- An Energy Saver power mode can save energy if the microwave isn’t in operation.
- The Black Stainless Steel design makes it difficult to see the food inside.
4. GE JVM6172DKWW White Microwave Oven (Rating: 3.9)
GE 1.7 cu. ft Microwave Oven in White over the Range Sensor has a capacity of 1000 Watts. Two CFM ventilator systems remove smoke, odors, and steam from a cooktop quickly to ensure that kitchen air is clean and fresh.
With defrost time and weight, you enter the food weight, and the Oven sets the ideal time and power level to defrost or you set the desired time. The melting characteristic enables the carefree melting of butter, cheese, chocolate, and caramel.
- The cooking sensor establishes the ideal time and energy level automatically.
- 1.000-Watt heating capacity and ten levels of cooking for reheating, defrosting and boiling.
- The built-in 300 CFM 2-Speed ventilation system improves the air quality of the kitchen by reducing dust, steam, and odors.
- This microwave is easy to use with visual display electronic controls.
- 1.7 cu. ft. capacity is suitable for small casserole dishes
- The melting cycle offers heat for the softening of chocolate or butter.
- Turntable on / off is suitable for uniform cooking results or the accommodation of oversized dishes.
- Cooktop lighting offers two brightness adjustments over the range, along with a nightlight option.
- You can choose the correct amount of cooling by two fan speed configurations.
- The kit includes a recirculating charcoal filter.
- Limited 1-year warranty.
5. LG LMV2031ST Stainless Steel (Rating: 3.9)
The LG LMV2031ST Stainless Steel Microwave is perfect for anyone looking for a more significant capacitance option for space. This microwave has a power of 1000 watts and a venting scheme of 400 CFM. The detector processing technique is used to thoroughly cook meat while avoiding overcooking owing to the cooking time or extremely high energy consumption.
This LG microwave is designed in and outside of the device with an easy-to-clean layout. The control panel offers a wide variety of cooking features and enables you to use the rack insert for uniform cooking choices.
- With a thermal capacity of 1000 watts, you can make distinct dishes and decrease the energy to many levels.
- The guide is self-explanatory and understandable.
- This microwave stove is very comfortable and quiet and operates well over the range.
- This microwave can be noisy, mainly when working on the higher setting.
- The light on top of the stove is very dim and needs lights in your kitchen.
How to Choose the Best Over-the-Range Microwave
The microwave that is placed above a stove and beneath a wall of high shelves is called an over the range microwave. It can likewise be mounted in a cabinet or on a rack above a range. The significant benefit of the over the range microwave is that it removes the oven from the countertop and saves valuable space for meal preparation.
This type of microwave, which incorporates a range hood and microwave, is an excellent way to save storage and achieve maximum function. The kitchen equipment usually features ventilation in the oven’s structure. The integrated controllers range from 170 CFM to an energy boost of 400 CFM supporters to slow down all smoke, warmness, and odor throughout the entire kitchen.
While an over the range microwave has several benefits, it might be much harder to select the finest one than you might imagine. There is a range of designs and elements to be considered before choosing an over the range microwave, which will make it a challenge to find the most exquisite model. Below are important points you need to consider.
1. Where to Install the Microwave
An over the range microwave is supposed to be mounted over the range, but you really shouldn’t necessarily setup that way. You can also put it inside or under a cabinet that is not situated over a stove. Before selecting one, make sure that you understand where to position your microwave.
Size might not be the biggest consideration, but it could also be a significant factor. Usually, you don’t have a lot of selection when it in terms of spaces for over the range microwaves.
Before deciding to buy one, you will also need to measure the area allocated for your microwave, or you might have to decide to return it. The depth of the adjacent cupboards should also be compared with the fine detail of the microwave to ensure their right fit.
Once you understand the external size that fits appropriately above your kitchen range, the food that you plan to cook also needs to be determined. The capacity in the interior can be from 1.1 cubic feet to over cubic feet.
You would preferably want something to have a big capacity when deciding on the size of the microwave you wish to purchase. Some big capacity over the range microwave models operates better for those who want to boil or use a microwave for significant cooking activities for a big household.
Another point to take into account is the strength and the purpose you want your microwave to be. Are you planning to make whole dishes? Do you want to use them now and then to make a bag of popcorn or heat the leftovers?
Your choice of the model that gives you the power to use this microwave will be influenced by the type of food you intend to prepare. For example, you will have to choose a unit with more power than something that you only use to warm up the leftovers and snacks if you need your microwave to prepare regular meals. The ideal wattage for your microwave would be at least 1000 watts.
4. Convection versus Convention
Conventional microwaves often move through food boxes to boil the meals via microwaves. Microwave-convection combines the fundamental technology of microwave and cooling by radiation. Not only from top and bottom, but they also provide heat from behind to guarantee that your meal is cooked uniformly.
An over the counter, convective-mode microwave oven allows baking, roasting, browning, and grilling. So, you will need a convection model if you wish to use the microwave to prepare more specialized recipes. A convection mode is not necessary if the microwave is used only for fast basic cooking or reheating.
One of the best things about this type of microwave is that they offer a venting feature. Which means that these microwaves can also function as venting hoods that control smoke, odors. Venting power is indicated as CFM (cubic feet per minute). One of the most significant factors about this microwave form is that it offers a ventilation function. This implies that these microwaves may likewise work as smoke-or odor-controlling venting hoods.
Venting power is expressed as CFM (cubic feet per minute). The greater the CFM, the higher the airflow, the more pronounced the venting power function in clearing the air in the kitchen area. At least 300 should be the acceptable CPM rate.
Some microwaves could only activate vents individually, while some have vents that instantly activate when the heat is identified. Some designs have two or maybe more fans that are more effective at clearing smoke and smells. If you are cooking much on your stove, look for a well-ventilated model.
These microwaves over the range also give the alternative of non-venting or venting according to positioning and preference. One ventilated model sends outdoor exhaust while non-venting, through a carbon filter, redistributes the air indoors.
Sensors spare you the pain of figuring out the cooking temperature and time by adjusting the heat and the timer automatically according to the humidity generated by your food inside the microwave.
While the appearance of the microwave doesn’t affect its performance, it affects your kitchen appearance. As it’s an apparatus prominently featured in your kitchen, you need something that matches your kitchen appearance. As you may have realized, businesses try to deliver models with various designs. Choose one that matches your taste and kitchen.
Benefits of Over-the-Range Microwave
In the design of a kitchen, you also have to imagine the equipment that will make your kitchen more comfortable and functional. There are many microwave designs you can choose from. Don’t think about discovering the most exceptional countertop microwave, mainly if your kitchen is small. One right way to save space is to splurge on an over the range microwave.
The most significant benefit of an over the range microwave is that it saves space, which is indispensable in small kitchen areas where it’s challenging to fit all the necessary appliances. Setting up the microwave at an area that enables you to use it is simpler to save space rather than putting it all on your kitchen table.
Most kitchens need a hood, which removes the smell, smoke, and the steam of the food to keep the air fresh and clean. Because of the integrated fans, the over the range microwave also operates as a hood, indicating that there are two items in one, which increases functionality.
How long should an over-the-range microwave last?
An over-the-range microwave should typically last between 9 to 10 years. However, the lifespan can vary depending on factors such as usage frequency, maintenance, and brand quality. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help prolong the life of the microwave.
It’s also important to note that some high-end brands may have longer lifespans, while lower-end models may have shorter ones.
Is an over-the-range microwave as good as range hood?
Over-the-range microwaves and range hoods serve different purposes and have different advantages and disadvantages.
Over-the-range microwaves have the advantage of being multi-functional, allowing you to cook, reheat, and defrost food while also serving as a ventilation system. They are also typically more space-efficient and cost-effective than range hoods.
However, range hoods have the advantage of being more powerful and effective at ventilating your kitchen. They are specifically designed to remove smoke, steam, and odors from your cooking area, while over-the-range microwaves may not be as effective at this task. Range hoods are also available in a wider range of styles and designs, allowing you to choose a unit that matches your kitchen decor.
Should an over-the-range microwave be vented outside?
It is recommended to vent an over-the-range microwave outside if possible. Venting the microwave outside helps to remove steam, smoke, and cooking odors from your kitchen, improving the air quality and reducing the risk of respiratory problems.
However, not all kitchens are set up for external venting, and it may not be possible or practical to install a venting system. In these cases, you can still use a recirculating system where the air is filtered and then released back into the kitchen. While not as effective as venting outside, this can still help to improve air quality and remove cooking odors.
Why put microwave above stove?
One of the main reasons for putting a microwave above the stove is to save space in the kitchen. By mounting the microwave over the stove, it eliminates the need for a separate countertop or cabinet space for the microwave, which can free up valuable counter space. This is especially beneficial in smaller kitchens where counter space is limited.
Another reason is that an over-the-range microwave can serve as a ventilation system, removing smoke, steam, and cooking odors from the kitchen. This can improve air quality and reduce the risk of respiratory problems.
The decisions may consume you if you are looking for an over the range microwave. They are available in several different styles so that you can find an option to match your other kitchen equipment.
You may want to match the various microwave alternatives with characteristics that are better suited to your needs. Some are designed with fewer buttons and controls for easy use. The other configurations and preset features have many distinct alternatives, making them suitable for those who commonly use the microwave.
When you select an over the range, it is essential to assess your storage. Over the range microwaves are available in various dimensions intended to stretch over the area. Most of them have a fan that you can activate when you fry food to maintain the safe in the kitchen. Some of them also have lights that provide additional lighting when you cook or clean.
Our archive contains a wealth of information on similar topics – take a look!