For ages, celery juice has been a highly recommended drink by celebrities, dieticians, and moms, and rightly so!
The benefits of celery juice are innumerable. It is rich in minerals and packs a lot more nutrients when compared to celery sticks. It is an amazing source of calcium, Vitamins A, C, and K, etc.
However, including it as a regular part of your diet does take effort, especially if you want to be as healthy as possible and make sure you have fresh celery juice every day. Read below to know the various benefits of celery juice, how to correctly include it in your diet, and more.
- Anti-Inflammatory – One of the primary benefits of celery juice is that it is anti-inflammatory. The presence of phytonutrients, which act as antioxidants, play an important role in lowering oxidative stress. This in turn helps to not only bring down inflammation in the body but can also lower the possibilities of future ailments like cancer growth, obesity, diabetes, and more.
- Improves digestion – Consumption of celery juice is shown to improve the digestive process in the body. Apiuman is a type of polysaccharide found in celery that has shown to reduce the presence of stomach ulcers, improve stomach lining and even regulate stomach secretions, which leads to better digestion.
- Highly hydrating – With 95% water, celery juice hydrates the body like none other, along with providing fiber and nutrients. Drinking celery juice can help your body meet its daily fluid intake, and maintain body temperature, brain function, kidney function, and more.
Other than this, celery juice is also an excellent alternative to sugary beverages, and offers great taste along with a ton of health benefits and vitamins, without any of the additives.
How to Prepare Celery Juice?
Before you prepare celery juice, it is important to buy the right kind of celery. You will find celery on the produce aisle of most grocery stores, however not every kind is appropriate for juicing. The celery should have tight, sturdy stalks that snap when you break them, and the leaves should be crispy and fresh, and not wilting.
An important tip to keep in mind here is to not discard the leaves. Most people tend to tear the leaves off and throw them away, but they actually contain a large amount of the nutrient content of the entire plant, so make sure to keep them on.
With A Juicer
- Chop the celery stalks into manageable pieces
- Thoroughly rinse them under clean water to remove any residual debris or dirt
- Carefully feed the celery stalks in your juicer and collect the liquid. For the best consistency, use a strong juicer that can extract juice easily from hard stalks.
- It is best to consume immediately, but you can also refrigerate it, for a maximum of 2-3 days.
With A Blender
- Chop the celery stalks into chunks of about 1-2 inches
- Carefully run them under water and rinse thoroughly to remove any residual dirt
- Add the celery pieces into the blender with a quarter of a cup of water.
- Blend the celery and water until you get a smooth liquid.
- Pour the blended liquid into a muslin or a nut milk bag and squeeze the juice out with your hands into a clean jug
- Drink the extracted juice immediately, or refrigerate for a maximum of 2-3 days.
How to Include Celery Juice in Your Diet?
When to Drink: Technically speaking, the best time to drink celery juice is right in the morning on an empty stomach. However, you can have it during breakfast or intermittently during the day as well.
How Much to Drink: About 2-3 cups of celery juice a day should be more than sufficient. Too much of it can also have repercussions and lead to irritable bowel, digestive issues, and more. If you have a sensitive stomach, it is best to restrict yourself to half a cup or one cup in the beginning. Alternatively, you can even mix celery juice with water.
Alternative Recipes: Other than going for just celery juice, you can also try out simple recipes like the ones below.
- Eat celery with dips like peanut butter, hummus, guacamole, and more.
- Steam celery and eat with sprinkled seasonings.
- Add celery to chicken and tuna salads
- Create a green smoothie with celery, kale, spinach, banana, and apple.
What are the potential side effects of drinking celery juice?
While celery juice is generally safe for most people, some may experience allergic reactions. Symptoms can include skin inflammation, hives, or difficulty breathing. Celery juice is also high in sodium, which could be a concern for people with high blood pressure. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new dietary regimen.
Can I drink celery juice if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
While celery is safe to eat during pregnancy and breastfeeding, it’s always best to consult with your healthcare provider before starting any new dietary regimen, including drinking celery juice.
Can I give celery juice to my kids?
Yes, celery juice can be a healthy addition to a child’s diet. However, it’s best to introduce it slowly and in small amounts, as the strong flavor can be off-putting to some children. Also, be aware that celery juice is high in sodium, so it’s important to monitor your child’s overall sodium intake.
Does celery juice help with weight loss?
Celery juice is low in calories and can be a healthy addition to a weight-loss diet. However, it’s not a magic bullet for weight loss. The most effective weight loss strategies typically involve a combination of healthy eating, regular physical activity, and behavior changes.
Can I drink celery juice if I have kidney disease?
Celery juice is high in potassium and sodium, which can be problematic for people with kidney disease. If you have kidney disease, it’s important to consult with your healthcare provider before adding celery juice to your diet.
How can I make celery juice taste better?
If you find the taste of celery juice too strong, you can try mixing it with other juices such as apple or carrot juice. Adding a bit of fresh lemon or lime juice can also help to improve the taste.
As we conclude our exploration of the benefits and uses of celery juice, we are left with a profound appreciation for this humble vegetable. Its myriad health benefits, from anti-inflammatory properties to aiding digestion and providing hydration, make it a worthy addition to our daily diets.
The journey of incorporating celery juice into our lives may require some effort, but the rewards are well worth it. From choosing the right celery to understanding the best ways to juice it and finally integrating it into our daily routines, each step brings us closer to a healthier lifestyle.
As a mom of two angels, I credit myself in making meals with high concentration yet the balance of nutrition. I pay good care about the health of my family and everyone. Thus, you will find most of my recipes focus on healthy ingredients.