Think about it. There are numerous ways to make mouth-watering dishes with lobsters. They are an excellent source of proteins, copper, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. With all the health benefits packed in each lobster, it’s easy to understand why it’s such a popular dish.
Whether you want a healthy, light lunch on a hot summer afternoon, a lobster dish is the way to go. In today’s post, we will look at how to make a healthy salad, something you can grab on the go or eat as a complete meal.
The Classic Lobster Salad
This Classic Lobster Salad is a simple meal to prepare for you or your guests. Besides, a fresh lobster requires a few ingredients and only 15 minutes of prep time. If you are in a hurry, this is definitely the way to go. So, what should you buy to make this salad?
- 1 pound of diced fresh cooked lobster meat (4-5 lobsters are required for this recipe)
- 1⁄2 finely chopped celery
- 4-6 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Mixed salad greens or lettuce leaves (1 head of lettuce will do)
- Salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of mustard
- Avocado (optional)
- Diced tomatoes (optional)
- Cucumber (optional)
- Clean your lettuce
- Cube or cut the lobster into small pieces.
- In a clean bowl, put your lobster meat, chopped celery, and sprinkle the lemon juice
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in the mayonnaise dressing with the lobster
- Place the crisp lettuce leaves on a serving platter and scoop the lobster salad on them.
- Garnish it with a wedge of avocado and slices of your cucumber and tomatoes.
- Once you have mixed the mayonnaise with mustard, salt, and pepper, add a spoonful dressing to the lobster salad served on the lettuce leaves.
- Garnish your lobster salad with an avocado wedge, slices of cucumber, and tomato, and enjoy.
There are other ways to serve your lobster salad. Let’s take a look at the various presentations to charm your guests.
- Tomato: Slice the tomato in half and spoon your salad in the halved tomato
- Avocado: Serve your salad on a halved avocado
- Serve as a sandwich: Use the lobster salad as a filling in a sweet or hot dog bun to make a lobster roll.
- Buttery Crackers: Serve it with a side of crackers to give you a great party snack
- Puff Pastry: Use the puff pastry as a platter to serve the salad
Can You Refrigerate Lobster Salad?
Yes, you can store your salad in the fridge. However, if you want to enjoy your salad while still fresh, do not keep it for more than two days. Do not freeze it.
Tips to Prepare Lobster Meat
Cooking live lobster is a messy but straightforward process if you have the right tools and knowledge. Additionally, learning this skill can double up in your fine-dining experience because the process of eating a live lobster is similar. All you need is some patience and practice.
How to Extract the Meat from The Shell?
- Separate the tail from the body by giving it a twist.
- Twist off the claws.
- Uncoil the tail and have the underside face up. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut through the bottom.
- Using your hands, pull the tail apart to extract the meat. The tail carries most of the meat in the lobster. Once you get the meat, you may notice a green substance that lines the lobster’s body cavity. This is the Tomalley which carries the functions of the liver and pancreas in a lobster.
- Wipe off the Tomalley
- Using a heavy knife or cracking tool, break open the claws and take out the meat. Pick out the smaller pieces using a skewer or fork.
- The legs contain the least amount of meat. Nonetheless, you want to get as much meat as possible. Once you break open each knuckle, use skewers to get the small pieces of meat. If the lobster has smaller legs, use a rolling pin to push out the meat. Your lobster meat is ready for steaming to make your salad.
Watch this video if you’re interested to see the process of making this salad:
What are the health benefits of lobster?
Lobster is an excellent source of protein, copper, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids. It provides essential nutrients and promotes overall health, including cardiovascular health, brain function, and immune system support.
How do I extract meat from the lobster shell?
To extract the meat from a lobster, follow these steps:
- Twist off the tail from the body.
- Twist off the claws.
- Uncoil the tail, cut through the bottom using kitchen scissors, and pull the tail apart to extract the meat.
- Break open the claws using a heavy knife or cracking tool and remove the meat. Use a skewer or fork to pick out smaller pieces.
- For the legs, break open each knuckle and use skewers or a rolling pin to extract the meat.
How do I cook the lobster meat for the salad?
Once you have extracted the meat from the lobster shells, bring salted water to a boil in a pot. Add the lobster meat and cook for 7-8 minutes. Remove the lobster from the water and let it cool. Dice the meat into suitable pieces for the salad.
Can I make substitutions to reduce calories in the lobster salad?
Yes, if you want to reduce calories, you can substitute the mayonnaise with low-fat plain Greek yogurt. This swap provides a healthier alternative while still maintaining the delicious flavor of the lobster salad.
What are some serving options for the lobster salad?
The lobster salad can be served in various ways:
- Spoon the salad into halved tomatoes.
- Serve the salad on halved avocados.
- Use the lobster salad as a filling in a sweet or hot dog bun to make a lobster roll.
- Serve it with buttery crackers as a party snack.
- Use puff pastry as a platter to serve the salad.
Are there any specific tips for storing and handling lobster?
When storing lobster, refrigerate it and consume it within two days. Freezing is not recommended as it can negatively impact the quality. When handling live lobster, it’s important to use the proper tools and techniques to extract the meat safely and effectively.
Are there any vegetarian alternatives to lobster for a salad?
Yes, if you prefer a vegetarian option, you can substitute lobster with ingredients like diced tofu, chickpeas, or cooked lentils to create a flavorful and protein-rich salad.
Are there any alternatives to mayonnaise for the dressing?
If you prefer alternatives to mayonnaise, you can use Greek yogurt, sour cream, or a combination of Greek yogurt and Dijon mustard. These options offer a tangy and creamy flavor while reducing the overall calorie content of the salad.
Can I add additional ingredients to customize?
Absolutely! The Classic Lobster Salad can be customized to suit your preferences. You can add ingredients like diced red onion, chopped fresh herbs (such as dill or parsley), diced bell peppers, or a splash of hot sauce to enhance the flavor and add extra freshness to the salad. Feel free to experiment and create your own unique version!
Cooking the Lobster
Once you have all the meat out of the shells, pour salted water in a pot, cover it and bring it to a boil. Add in the lobster meat and cook for 7-8 minutes. Once ready, remove the lobster from the water and let it cool. Dice the meat into sizable pieces and make your salad.
This lobster salad is a healthy low-carb treat that your family or guests will absolutely love. If you are looking to reduce more calories off this salad, you can swap the mayonnaise with low-fat plain Greek yogurt. You can serve this simple yet elegant dish cold.