Do you enjoy smoking in your backyard? Or how about grilling some savory cuts of meat for dinner? Owning an appliance that can be used as both will infuse an extraordinary tang into your life. If you are still unaware of what the best smoker grill combo can do and how useful it can be, then you have stepped into the right place.
A smoker grill combo is a flexible appliance that can be used to cook in multiple ways. Purchasing such an appliance will not only save your money and space because you would only use a single practical unit to prepare different mouth-watering recipes. The same application can also be utilized to roast, braise, bake, or sear your food without any hassle and let you easily explore and accomplish your cooking ambition. To know more about the smoker grill combo, keep reading till the end!
Best Smoker Grill Combo Reviews
1. Traeger Grills TFB57GZEO Pro Series 575 Grill, Smoker
Traeger is considered the renowned wood pellet grill smoker-selling company all over the world. This latest smoker grill combo is equipped with smart technology features to provide you with the best smoking and grilling experience. It is highly suitable for tailgating or picnics with your family and friends.
Features of this product:
- Traeger uses only a wood pellet grill to get a savory wood-fired taste in your meals.
- It consists of built-in WiFIRE technology that connects your smoker grill to your home WIFI. The Traeger app permits you to control and adjust the grill’s temperature, monitor pellet levels, set timers, and more.
- Enabled with Alexa, the voice control system allows the users to adjust the digital controls with a simple voice command.
- It provides versatile BBQ cooking in different modes such as hot, low, slow, and fast. This model also offers 6-in-1 cooking versatility to smoke, grill, bake, braise, roast, and BBQ every job on the single grill.
- Its easy-to-operate controls allow wood-fired cooking simple and convenient to use, which provides consistent results with the ease of temperature setting options.
- It provides 575 square inches of grilling capacity, which can accommodate chicken, burgers, ribs, fish, steak, desserts, or vegetables all on one surface.
- The dynamic D2 direct drive drivetrain provides more flavor and power to your grill by acting as a great catalyst, taking the outdoor smoking, and grill experience to another level.
2. Realcook Charcoal BBQ Smoker Grill
Realcook Charcoal BBQ Smoker Grill is considered the best smoker grill combo under 500. This 20-inch vertical charcoal smoker grill allows you to savor flavourful foods with your family and friends in your backyard. It is specially designed to provide you with the best outdoor smoker grill experience.
Features of this product:
- It is designed with a multi-layered structure that provides different ways to be used for hot or cold smoking. It gives great flexibility to grill/smoke/bake/roast/braise/steam on the smoker.
- High-temperature-resistant layers, painted steel, and additional strong legs offer more stability and durability of the system for daily use.
- Its functional access doors permit you to easily check the foods placed on its cooking grates or add wood or charcoal to the fire bowl.
- It consists of heat resistant bakelite handle which gives basting, cooking and transporting a breeze.
- The provision of a chrome-plated cooking grid easily holds large cuts of chicken, pizza, meat, or any other foods.
- The porcelain-enameled water pan and dual adjustable air vents develop a balance between moisture and smoke for adding a smoky flavor to the food.
- The availability of an adjustable air vent helps to make cooking comfortable and in your control.
- A built-in thermometer allows you to observe the inner temperature of the system at any time with the help of its detailed temperature scale.
3. Camp Chef 24 in. Pellet Grill & Smoker
The premium Woodwind pellet smoker and grill combo is the smartest and highly flexible smoker-grill combo available on the market. Equipped with innovative technology, it enhances and smoothens the cooking experience of the users. Hence, it is considered one of the best smoker grill combinations.
Features of this product:
- It consists of a PID controller to regulate temperature and smoke by adjusting the Smoke Number from 1-10 to incorporate the level of smoke in your cook.
- The all-new WIFI and Bluetooth connectivity enable you to connect with your mobile through the Camp Chef Connect App to independently control, modify, set notifications, and monitor smoke settings.
- It contains an attachable sidekick which can perfectly work with its 14 in. accessories.
- It uses 160 F-500 F temperature values from the slow smoking process to the grilling method.
- The Slide & Grill system allows you to direct the cooking flame with a temperature up to 650 F.
- The built-in ash removing cleanup system permits you to clean the ashes after each cooking episode.
- The expanded chamber delivers an extra 40% cooking capacity.
4. Dyna-Glo DGSS1382VCS-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill
This multi-functional charcoal smoker grill combo provides the best offset smoking and grilling capacity to the users. With its sturdy construction and excellent features, it is quite handy for backyard parties, picnics, or tailgating events. It is regarded as one of the best smoker grill combos for the money.
Features of this product:
- It consists of five chrome-coated cooking grates with 1382 square inches total cooking capacity.
- Heavy-duty steel body construction provides durability and support to the system.
- A cool-touch lid grip offers easy access to food and fuel safely.
- It contains a removable ash pan and offset charcoal grate for quick and easy ash removal.
- The built-in sausage hooks provide extra cooking versatility.
- It consists of a stainless analog temperature gauge which includes “Smoke Zone” and “Grill Zone” indicators to specify the absolute cooking temperature for adding smoke flavor in your meals.
- Highly portable due to oversized steel wheels which provide great mobility for the system.
5. Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill
This premium smoker roaster and grill combo are highly-rated and regarded as the best smoker grill combo under 500. It allows you to grill, smoke and roast your food all in a single product. Whether you are roasting chicken, smoking ribs, or grilling steaks, this smoker roaster and grill combo will fill your meals with a delicious and mouthwatering taste.
Features of this product:
- It uses TRU-Infrared technology, which will infuse a savory, crispy fried turkey taste outside your food and a juicy, tender, and smoky taste on the inside.
- This 3-in-1 product provides ultimate versatility with a capacity of 1200 square inches of roasting and smoking basket that accommodates bigger cuts of meat- fits.
- The side-mounted stainless steel smoker box allows you to insert wood chips without opening the lid to add a flavor of real smoke to your meals.
- Two side-mounted convenient handles permit you to move the unit with ease. The highly portable nature of the unit makes it ideal for tailgates and picnics or at your home in the backyard.
- It contains a TRU Infrared grilling surface of 180 square inches that provides a large cooking area for roasting and grilling.
- It can maintain temperature control from 9,000-18,000 BTU’s.
6. Royal Gourmet CC1830F Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
Royal Gourmet BBQ charcoal smoker and grill combo is a versatile and compact appliance on which you can prepare savory meals for your friends and family. It is designed to fit on mainly balconies, patios, and decks with comfort for picnics or tailgating. It is considered the best smoker grill combo for the money.
Features of this product:
- Porcelain-coated wire cooking grates provide evenly heating that helps to infuse the juices and give a more tender taste to your meat.
- It contains a great and convenient storage capacity with a front, underneath, and side rack for operation. The presence of hanging hooks provides ease for hanging accessories.
- It consists of 800 square inches of total cooking surface for either grilling or smoking.
- Two adjustable dampers aid in adjusting heat as needed with the help of lifting handles to lower or raise fire pan into two distinct levels.
- Easy and quick to tend charcoal with the help of an access door located at the side firebox that does not require the removal of entire grates.
- Easy to remove ashes with a removable ash pan.
- Highly portable to transport with its 2-wheeler design.
7. Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill Smoker
This 2023 premium smoker grill combo enhances your outdoor BBQ experience with a smoky flavor to savor food with your friends and family. It is easy to operate with its digital controls and can be used for multiple purposes. Hence, it is considered the best Thanksgiving gift for your family.
Features of this product:
- It uses an automatic electric feed system to maintain the smoker temperature from 180ºF- 450ºF. The smart digital controller helps to keep the temperature within -/+ 20ºF and provide easy setting options to adjust the grill temperature.
- It consists of a large grilling area and huge capacity, which can accommodate up to 5 whole chickens, 20 burgers, and six racks of ribs easily. It is best for tailgating or party.
- Its ultimate large wooden grill pellet allows you to smoke, grill, braise, roast, bake, and barbeque food in only a single grill.
- It is designed to provide the best smoker flavor by its premium 100% wood pellets that generate smoke and heat, adding your food with a delicious wood-fired taste to make your taste buds go crazy.
- It provides you with 3 years warranty on its grills which are constructed from high-quality materials.
8. Char-Griller 2137 Charcoal Grill / Smoker
This Char-Griller charcoal smoker/grill is one of the best smoker grill combos for beginners. It is equipped with a primary and secondary cooking area which provides enough space to grill or smoke meats for large family gatherings or backyard parties. It is certainly an easier and more convenient appliance to use for smoking and grilling.
Features of this product:
- The sturdy heavy-duty steel construction and powder coat finish provides great durability and its strong round legs give proper support and balance to the system.
- The cast-iron cooking grates help to deliver even heating to your meals.
- It provides convenient storage with 1,063 square inches grilling capacity.
- Simple and convenient addition of coals without the removal of entire grates.
- Adjustable heat gauges and fire grates provide efficient heat control.
- It provides an easy cleanup facility with the help of its easy dump ash pan for quick ash disposal.
- Temperature gauge to control the temperature.
9. Z Grills ZPG-6002E Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
Z Grills’s ultimate 6-in-1 smoker grill combo is the latest model in the smoker & grill range which offers ultimate flexibility with easy-to-use controls. With huge grilling and hopper capacity, it can be used to serve smoked and grilled food at large family gatherings, parties, or tailgating. It is one of the best smoker and grill combos available on the market.
Features of this product:
- It provides the ultimate versatility of smoking, grilling, roasting, baking, barbecuing, and braising all in one system.
- Built from stainless steel, the appliance provides high resistance to corrosion, making it a long-lasting smoker grill combo.
- It uses high-tech wood fire pellet technology to provide smoky wood flavor in your food by using propane or gas.
- It has easy-to-use controls with digital temperature control, electronic automated start ignition, and real-time LED temperature readout, which makes it convenient for beginners.
- It is super easy to clean as it comes with a waste oil collector to help you with the easy and safe cleanup.
- It comes with an improved cart and better locking caster wheels which enables great mobility.
- The automatic electric feed system helps to maintain the heat by setting temperature from 180º F-450º F and generate a sufficient amount of smoke. You are just required to set the temperature and the system will automatically work accordingly.
- It removes the requirement for a rotisserie and develops a flexible environment with fan-enabled convection cooking to grill, smoke, roast, braise, and bake.
10. SUNLIFER 20.5 Inch Smoker and Grill Combo
Sunlife charcoal smoker grill combo is a multi-functional appliance which can be used for hot or cold cooking. It is very easy to use and easy to move that will enhance your cooking experience that you will start loving grilling and smoking. It is one of the most-rated products on the market.
Features of this product:
- It offers ultimate flexibility with different ways to cook: grill/smoke/steam /braise/ bake /roast. This smoker can also be used as a charcoal grill, a fire pit, a BBQ grill, and a single/double-layer smoker simultaneously.
- Two adjustable air vents and a built-in thermometer labeled with temperature scale allow great temperature control of the system.
- A removable ash pan makes it easy to clean ash from the system.
- It features a deep water pan that gives extra space to fill wine or water or to infuse special taste in your meal.
- It contains two chrome-enameled cooking grates with a total of 646 square inches of cooking space that enables large cooking capacity.
- The crossbar and 4 hooks inside the lid can easily hold different types and sizes of food.
- The latch locking system makes it simple to assemble and dismantle easily, which makes it very convenient to transport the system from one place to another.
- 2 access doors enable easy access to the system to either monitor the status of your meals or add wood, charcoal, or pellets from each door separately.
11. Outsunny Steel Portable Backyard Charcoal BBQ Grill
The Outsunny portable charcoal smoker, BBQ, and grill combination appliance is considered the best smoker-grill combo for beginners. With a sleek design and two separate openings for a grill and offset smoker, it provides the best backyard cooking experience to the users. It is light-weighted, easy to operate, and easy to move, thus, it is the perfect choice for experiencing outdoor cooking.
Features of this product:
- Great combinations of BBQ, charcoal grill, and offset smoker for multi-purpose usage.
- The side vent increases the airflow in the cooking.
- Smoker firebox aids offset the heat and infuse smoke flavor in your meals.
- It consists of wooden handles and a lit-mounted thermometer for safer use.
- It provides a huge storage area with two shelves and a lower metal grating for storing grilling accessories and essentials.
- The heavy-duty construction of the system with angled legs provides grill stability and toughness.
- The rustproof cold-rolled steel ensures the construction lasts for many years.
- The presence of two wheels delivers smooth and easy mobility.
12. ROVSUN Grill Offset Smoker Combo
This conventional charcoal grill offset smoker combination allows you to experience dual-styled BBQ with your friends and family. It is equipped with all the safety measures which meet every food safety norm and is safe and healthy to use for the BBQ.
Features of this product:
- The black-coated steel construction of the body prevents it from rusting and makes it useful for a long time.
- It is designed to provide absolute safety with wooden handles that protect you from any burn injuries.
- A built-in thermometer is assembled on the top lid which helps to read and control the temperature at any time.
- It can suspend more coal over the grill and permits the airflow smoothly through air vents, which creates less smoke and ash.
- It consists of a large wooden shelf space to keep grilling essentials and accessories
- Removal and cleanup of ash can be managed easily from an ash collector tray.
- The two rolling wheels make it easy for transporting the system from one place to another.
- It has a large cooking capacity, which makes it an absolute choice to be used for backyard, beach, camping, picnics, and outdoor parties with your friends and family
Everyone loves to eat smoked and grilled food. Some people like to enjoy smoked or grilled meats every weekend, while others prefer to smoke or grill during picnics or tailgating. The preferences of cooking and taste can vary, but you can easily select the appliance that suits you the best. Purchasing a multi-functional appliance allows you to use the product in different ways and for different cooking purposes.
A lightweight and portable smoker grill combo can ease your outdoor cooking experience as compared to a heavy and immovable product. By considering a few features of the smoker and grill, you can easily purchase should the best smoker-grill combo to give wings to your passion for cooking.
Different kinds of smokers & grills
Do you wish to cook various foods with the help of only a single appliance? You can fulfill your wish with the best smoker-grill combo. It is a multi-functional device that provides versatile cooking methods to meet your requirements efficiently. The smoker grill combo does every work of providing a sleek texture to your food.
These appliances are available in many different types with each constituting its pros and cons. Depending on your needs and the circumstances of utilizing it, you can easily buy the smoker grill combo which perfectly meets your needs.
Following is the list of various types of smokers and grills:
1. Charcoal Smokers
Charcoal smokers are one of the excellent appliances for smoking food. They are regarded as the best appliances to infuse smoky flavor into meals. They are available in various sizes and shapes and equipped with smart technology.
Charcoal is likely to bind with wood pellets when used as a fuel that infuses the majority of the flavor in the food. The only tradeoff a person has to bear for this additional taste is that these smokers are subjected to much more labor-intensive rather than gas or electric smokers as they require more monitoring and cleaning.
Mode of operation:
Charcoal smokers use wood chips as fuel for combustion. When wood is extremely heated greater than 1,000°F, a majority of carbonless organic compounds are readily burnt off, leaving the ‘char’ behind which gets cleanly burned and does not generate excessive smoke. This char gets converted into small briquettes which are known as charcoal.
Charcoal gives heat to charcoal smokers. The chemicals generated during the combustion process release gases like nitrogen oxide, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide, which infuse a smoky flavor into the food. Extra smoke is created by using the wood chips that are generally settled above the charcoal to smoke.
The total quantity of heat generated is managed with the help of air intakes situated near the coals. The greater the amount of air permitted into the firebox, the hotter the amount of charcoal will burn off.
Many of the charcoal smokers hang the meals over the coals that draw smoke and heat across the meals with the help of air dampers and chimneys which are situated at the top.
Controlling the course of smoke and air is important in smoking through charcoal as an excessive amount of air will make your meal tough and dry, while less air and smoke will create bitterness in the food.
- Charcoal smokers are regarded as an excellent standard to deliver an intense smoky flavor to food.
- They are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles which makes it quite easy to find the smoker that fits your requirements and available space.
- Charcoal actively infuses the smoky taste to the food when you cook. The nitrogen oxide released from the charcoal is majorly responsible for generating the smoke ring.
- Charcoal grills require more than enough monitoring and extra practice to know how it works than gas or electric grills.
- The process is time-consuming as you would require igniting the charcoal and waiting for it to turn into ashes before putting it in the smoker as it needs to take some time before starting smoking.
- A lot of particulate and ash is produced by charcoal, which requires intensive cleaning of the smoker after finishing up the smoking process.
If you love eating smoked meats, then a charcoal smoker is the best choice for you to go with. The design of the charcoal smoker can be complicated or very easy for you to handle depending on your understanding and it can take some effort and time to receive consistent results, which is completely worth it.
2. Propane or gas smokers
Gas smokers use propane or natural gas to produce heat in the system. The term ‘propane’ and ‘gas’ are used justly interchangeably for fuelling such smokers. Propane is sometimes known as Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG). So, if you have a gas connection at your home, then that gas can be utilized as fuel for your smokers in a form of refillable gas bottles which can be readily available at many outdoor stores and gas stations.
Mode of operation:
Most of the gas smokers are constructed in a ‘cabinet design’ with the vents and burner at the bottom level and the dampers and chimney at the top level. The gas moves from the bottle via a manifold and travels down to the cooking area. Then, it gets ignited after flowing out of the valves of the burner. Similar to an electric smoker, propane or gas smokers do not produce smoke naturally, so wood chips are utilized to develop a smoky flavor in the food.
- Gas smokers are convenient to use as electric smokers and one can readily find propane to fuel the system.
- It is easy to control the temperature of a propane or gas smoker. Moreover, it is quite simple to make any changes in the heat rather than with a pellet or charcoal burner.
- Starting a gas grill is quite faster than starting a charcoal grill. You can easily change from cold to hot cooking within 15 minutes and enjoy your meal within a stipulated time.
- Though gas smokers produce more chemicals during the combustion process, and these appliances infuse more flavor into the food than electric smokers.
- You can easily run out of gas if you don’t have any backup fuel storage. To be cautious, you will possibly require two gas bottles to ensure that you are not short of gas. If your gas tank is indicating a low fuel level, then you would require checking your smoker after every 30 minutes to identify whether it has stopped working.
Gas smokers are best for pitmasters who wish to infuse a little smoky flavor of the chemicals released during the combustion process which you would not probably receive by using an electric smoker. Since gas smokers use gas bottles as fuel sources which are easily portable and they tend to be light-weighted. Hence, a gas or propane smoker would also be best fit for someone who likes to go out for camping trips or cookouts.
3. Offset Smokers
Offset smokers are highly popular smokers available in the market. They were initially developed from unutilized oil drums that are responsible for their barrel-like structure. These smokers are big and bulky with a maximum cooking chamber to feed a large family gathering with delicious smoked food.
Mode of operation:
The term “offset” in an offset smoker is named after the manufacturing fact of an offset smoker in which the firebox is placed below the major cooking chamber and offset to the side of the body. When charcoal or wood is burned in the firebox, the heat and smoke flow across the meal in the cooking area and go out from a chimney.
A typical offset smoker has a chimney positioned opposite the firebox. Several offset smokers utilize a ‘reverse flow’ structure, which makes use of baffles to push the heat and smoke to flow in both over and under the food. Hence, offset smokers with reverse flow structures are quite easy to notice as these smokers have chimneys mounted above the firebox, not opposed to it.
- The large cooking capacity of the offset smokers eases the effort to cook up a large quantity of food.
- Some models of the offset smokers provide a grill plate that can be attached above the firebox that can be used as a smoker grill combo.
- Since the firebox is isolated from the cooking area, you can easily add extra fuel to the fire by not taking out smoke and heat.
- Buying a cheap offset smoker is not valuable for the money as it usually involves construction which means drying of food, leakage, and bad heat retention property. So, spending extra money on a high-quality offset smoker will be worth spending and work efficiently for a long time.
- It is a long procedure to start an offset smoker and it takes an hour to get set the accurate temperature to start cooking.
- It requires much practice and effort to learn how to use the offset smoker to get the best results from it and enjoy excellent meals.
Offset smokers are considered the best purchase for those who can put some effort and time into creating a large amount of food from a great and difficult-to-use smoker. It is important to consider the available space in your home or backyard before buying an offset smoker as it is quite big.
4. Electric Smokers
Electric smokers are regarded as the best ‘set it and forget it’ smoking system. One of the greatest advantages of using these smokers is that you do not require taking the stress about burning charcoal or wood, carrying a propane cylinder as its fuel source, or worrying about the cleaning process.
Utilizing an electric smoker has several benefits such as adjusting the temperature, setting time, possibly from a mobile app if you have a high-end model, and chilling out with your beer while your work is getting done.
Mode of operation:
Electric smokers make use of a heating element than any kind of combustible fuel source to generate heat. Since there is an absence of actual combustion, the smoke is usually produced from the wood chips that are placed over the heating element.
Most electric smokers are constructed in a vertical direction in which the heating element is situated at the bottom level and the water pans and the wood chips are placed between it and then comes the food racks.
There are two important functions of a water pan. First of all, it generates water vapors which intensify the smoky flavor in the meal. Secondly, it produces an indirect cooking habitat that shields the meat from any direct heat and keeps the smoking time and temperature low and slow.
- Electric smokers are quite easy-to-operate, which is a great choice for people who have never used a smoker and are beginning their journey with it.
- They do not need any supplementary fuel sources such as gas, charcoal, or pellets.
- High-quality electric smokers can certainly depend upon to maintain a consistent temperature and cannot fall short of fuel.
- The flavor generated by electric smokers is not the same as that produced by other smokers as it lacks an actual combustion process. In electric smokers, the low smoke temperature delivered by the wood chunks is used to generate the smoke.
- The absence of combustion gases does not let the formation of a smoke ring as it is produced in the presence of nitric oxide and carbon monoxide.
- The moist atmosphere generated inside the electric smokers makes it harder to provide a crispy crust on ribs or chicken skin.
Electric smokers are the best choice for those who cannot use wood, charcoal, or gas burners very close to the places they live in. These smokers suit perfectly those who prefer to put the food inside the smoker, set its timer, and chill out till the food is not prepared.
5. Pellet Smokers
Pellet smokers are an advanced high-quality combination of smokers and smokers. They conjoin the additional smoky taste of an actual combustion process with the excellent easiness of an electric smoker. A major advantage of pellet smokers is that it is a 3-in-1 cooking solution as you can utilize them as a smoker, grill, and oven.
Mode of operation:
Pellet smokers make use of sawdust compressed for their operation. These pellets are situated in a hopper located at the side and are delivered into the firebox with the help of an auger drill. A hot metal rod is placed inside the firebox which results in the combustion of the pellets that creates both heat and smoke in the cooking cabinet.
Pellet smokers make use of built-in thermometers to maintain the temperature consistent and stable by changing the flow of the air and quantity of pellets delivered into the firebox for generating consistent heat.
- Pellet smokers mix the flavor amplification of real wood smoke by using a cooking system in which you can set the temperature and timer and chill out till the time the food is prepared.
- As mentioned above, they provide ultimate versatility i.e. it can act as a grill, smoker, and oven.
- The wood pellets do not completely burn down, which means there is no requirement of cleaning up the system than emptying or removing the firebox.
- Pellet smokers are highly expensive than other kinds of smokers.
- The heating rod in the pellet smokers which ignites the fans, the drill, and the pellets all operate on electricity only, so you would require an electric socket nearby to your smoking place.
- Getting wood pellets is not very easy as gas or charcoal, so you would require a stockpile if you are going on a camping trip.
If you want a serious smoking cooking solution but are equipped with an advanced solution that does not require sitting down and babysitting the smoker, then a pellet grill is an absolute option for you. Pellet smokers are well-designed and provide greater flexibility. So, if you have a small room to keep a single cooking appliance in which you can readily smoke, grill, and cook, then pellet smokers are an ideal deal.
6. Kettle Grills
Kettle grills are spherical-shaped charcoal grills that can also be used as a smoker to smoke food in small quantities easily. These grills are considered the most commonly purchased live-fire cooking appliance as they are quite cheap and readily available on the market which makes them the best smoker grill combo.
Mode of operation:
Using a kettle grill as a smoker needs some rearrangement in the system of the charcoal placed inside it, some extra wood chunks, and a water pan. For smoking on kettle grills, many clever methods are used, which include the Snake procedure.
As per the Snake procedure, you need to lay out the unlit coals, 2 briquettes high, and 2 deep, making a ‘C’ shape. After igniting some hot briquettes, you need to position them to the place from where the Snake starts. Gradually, the burning briquettes will fire up the unlit briquettes, which increases the burn time and maintain the temperature low.
The wood chips are then put on top of the burning coals to generate smoke. A water pan is placed on the grill grate over these wood chips. Some water is added which aids to deliver some heat and adds some moisture inside the grill. The processed smoked food is then put on another side of the ash over coals and the grill’s lid is put on to create a vent above the meal.
Air is lifted via a lid vent in the bottom of the grill above the wood chips, coals, and water pan. It generates moisture and water that flows around the food to get its way out from the lid vent, which provides flavor in the food, and indirect heat from the coals cooks the food.
- If you own a kettle grill, then you do not require going out and purchase a smoker.
- Water pan and wood chips are conveniently easy to get and you do not need to make any systemic changes in the kettle grill for using it as a smoker.
- Since it is not constructed to be utilized as a smoker, so it can be quite difficult to control the airflow accurately along with the amount of heat and smoke in kettle grills. Therefore, it is not easy to receive consistent results
- It uses charcoal as a fuel source, so you will be burdened with some cleanup processes.
Kettle grills are mostly available in every house, which can be used as a smoker anytime. They create excellent jerry-rigged charcoal smokers which would fit best for people looking majorly for a grill, however, want to make use of it as a smoker to smoke food on any occasion.
7. Kamado Grills
Kamado grills are ceramic grills that can be used for multi-purpose jobs like smoking, grilling, roasting, and baking. The concept of these grills was first discovered above 3,000 years back in Asia. Hence, Kamado grills are one of the oldest cooking apparatuses which is quite popular till now. There are a variety of excellent brands available on the market that sells Kamado grills and they can be used as amazing smokers.
Mode of operation:
The peculiar egg-shaped structure of a Kamado grill is way more a stylistic solution. In accordance with ancient clay vessels (ovens), the thickness and shape of the ceramic walls help to retain moisture and heat.
The heat is produced by the fire at the bed of the cooking cabinet and the meal is situated on the grill grate over it. The level of heat generated is managed by the vents at the bottom and top of the grill.
If you are using a Kamado grill as a smoker, then you would require putting a water pan and wood chips in it. Some of the Kamado models provide a deflector plate that is situated over the fire and gives the heat back. The heat and smoke rise above the meal and are pointed back onto the system by the grill’s shape.
- Kamado grills suffer less airflow which creates fewer chances of drying out of the food; hence, you can get juicy and moist meat easily.
- They are multi-function, which can be used as a grill, smoker, bake as well as a pizza oven.
- They help to retain a consistent temperature due to its thick walls which can help to deal with heat retention issues during the cold season.
- Kamado grills are highly expensive to buy.
- Since these grills have only two vents, so controlling the temperature can be a bit tricky.
- As the fire is situated below the food, so the addition of extra fuel and removal of ash can be difficult.
Kamado grills are great and flexible cooking systems that permit you to smoke meat, grill food, and bake bread easily. If you struggle with heat retention issues and live in a cold place, then a Kamado grill will become a solution to your every problem with its excellent features and insulation.
Best Smoker Grill Combo – Buying Guide
Nowadays, buying the smoker grill combo can be a challenging job with multiple choices available in the market. Several factors play a vital role to decide and purchase the smoker grill combo like its type, quality, weight, cooking surface, etc. If these important factors are not researched and acknowledged properly, it can create huge confusion to select the right product among the various products, which might result in purchasing the wrong product.
Hence, it is certainly important to consider knowing various responsible factors while buying the smoker grill combo. Following is a brief list of certain important factors that can be your guide to purchasing the smoker grill combinations.
Factors to consider before buying the best smoker grill combinations
The weight of any product acts as a deciding factor to select a suitable product. A smoker grill combo’s weight concerns many consumers depending on the type of its usage. If you are planning to pack a smoker-grill combination for your camping trip, then its weight can become an issue. To resolve this problem, a compact and lightweight model would best fit in a patio or small backyard. Smaller smoker grill combo models are also quite suitable for any outdoor events or tailgating.
Decide which type of smoker grill combo to purchase is the hardest choice to make. Since there is a variety of smokers and grill combo which deliver similar optimal results, so it is important to pay attention to the purpose of buying the appliance. If you want to purchase it for picnics or camping trips, then you should consider a charcoal or gas smoker grill combo.
However, cleaning these smokers is not an easy task. If you wish to use it for tailgating or backyard cooking, then a wood pellet or electric smoker grill combo would be the best choice. However, pellet smokers are quite expensive to purchase. So, choose that particular smoker grill combo that meets your requirements and doesn’t burden you much.
The cooking surface plays a vital role in buying a smoker-grill combo. Whether you have a nuclear or a large family, a bigger cooking area of a smoker-grill combination will always benefit you as it will not hinder your options and will allow you to prepare multiple dishes simultaneously.
Nowadays, some models also present versatile cooking surfaces that can be easily divided to prepare various items close to each other. Models with side tray are quite feasible to use as it will firmly hold your cooking utensils and sauces.
Before buying a smoker grill combo, it is important to consider its cleaning process. The aspect of cleaning is a vital point to acknowledge as if your unit is not cleaned properly, then it can certainly harm your food with unwanted substances, which can have detrimental effects on your health. So, it is highly important to clean your smoker grill combo properly.
Always check if it contains an ash cleanout system for cleaning purposes. Nowadays, few models consist of a drip tray feature which helps to collect grease easily that prevents you from spending hours brushing the surface of the smoker grill combo. Porcelain-coated interiors provide an easy cleaning method and the food does not stick on their surfaces, which makes your unit always ready for use.
It is important to acknowledge the reason for buying the smoker grill combination whether it is for your recreation purposes or daily usage. You should always purchase a type of smoker grill combo by considering the fuel source available in your area.
If you are buying it for camping trips, then avoid buying an electric and gas smoker grill combo as you would not have any access to electricity or gas nearby and all your money will go to waste. If you want to prepare a BBQ at home, then an electric or gas smoker grill combo will be the best choice.
To keep your smoker grill combo for a long-lasting time, it is important to check its material durability and robustness. Resilient smoker grill combinations are made from strong, massive gauge steel. Its welds require being hard and well-executed to ensure long-lasting results.
An original smoker grill combo should contain insulated handles that can avert any injuries when using it. This smoker grill combo should also consist of lids that can lock the cooking chamber properly to control its temperature. Hi-tech and high-quality smoker grill combinations should contain an inbuilt thermometer that can aid in temperature control.
The purchase of a product largely depends on the budget of the consumers. There are multiple smoker grill combos available in the market with varied prices, but you can easily find there some smoker grill combinations which are affordable, easy to use, and provides good results.
If you are looking for the best smoker grill combo that fits within your available budget and still provides you with better service, then consider choosing charcoal burning smoker grill combo as they are available at reasonable prices and provide excellent flavor to your food recipes.
Hence, purchasing the best smoker grill combinations can become an easy deal by considering the above-mentioned factors.
What are the best smokers on the market?
Any smoker that provides durability and stability to the system and delivers ultimate versatility, easy-to-use, and easy-to-move features is considered the best smoker on the market. Nowadays, most smokers are equipped with smart technology with a large cooking area which makes it easier and more convenient to operate the smoker. So, before buying any smoker, consider what features it offers to get the best cooking experience.
Are smokers better than grills?
The answer to this question solely depends on the kind of meal you want to prepare and its preparation preferences. Smokers make use of real smoke to infuse smoky flavor in the food. They utilize indirect heat powered by charcoal, wood, gas, or electricity and operate in combination with a wood chip and a water basin positioned at the bottom of a smoker chamber.
The water aids to maintain the stability of the internal temperature, while the wood chunks deliver a smoky taste in the food through the smoke. However, the process involves slow cooking of food at low temperatures to get the signature “barbecue” flavor in your food.
On the other hand, grills offer greater versatility to prepare your food in varied ways. They can be operated through electricity, charcoal, or gas and uses direct or indirect heat to cook your food at high temperatures. The use of charcoal, pellet, or gas grill delivers a better taste to your food. One of the biggest advantages of grills over smokers is the procedure of cooking delivers the result quickly and one can enjoy his/her meal without waiting for a long time.
Is smoked meat bad for you?
The process of smoking adds a savory flavor to your meat. However, this mouth-watering flavor of smoke comes with potential health risks, and excessive eating of smoked meat can produce unwanted health effects. Since smoked meats are connected with an elevated risk for various cancers as the procedure of smoking gives rise to cancer-causing substances called carcinogens, i.e. polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from the wood smoke which are toxic.
Moreover, smoked meats increase the chances of stomach infections connected with bacterial contamination like Listeria monocytogenes and E.Coli. There is also a high probability of suffering from stroke, diabetes, and heart disease from processed meat. Therefore, it is important to possibly avoid these diseases by practicing the right method of smoking and reducing the consumption of smoked meat.
Are smoker grills healthy?
Smoked grill meats deliver mouth-watering flavors that could make your taste buds sing. However, the process undergoes many chemical reactions in which some reactions help the food to acquire an irresistible taste, while a few reactions could be harmful to your health if proper safety measures are not taken.
Recent studies on barbecued or smoker food, it is claimed that various chemical contaminants are produced in the process of combustion of fuel, which are carcinogenic like polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), formaldehyde, dioxins, sulfur, and nitrogen oxides.
These carcinogenic compounds are formed in those cooked meals which are either overdone or even burned. So, it is important to follow the right method of cooking practice to avoid exposing yourself to potential cancerous risks.
Why BBQ is bad for you?
Meat contains an organic acid named creatine, which aids in supplying energy utilized by the muscle cells of the body. When you prepare meat or pork, a chemical reaction takes place which turns creatine into a group of chemical compounds known as heterocyclic amines (HCAs) which results in cancer in higher concentrations.
The process of grilling and frying meat produces only some amount of HCAs, but barbecue is cooked at very high temperatures and heated from below which leads to the burning of dripped fat on the hot coals that rise the smoke and coat the meat. Well, this smoke consists of high levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) compounds from half-burned fat, which can cause cancer.
Also, underdone meat contains high concentrations of HCAs, which is highly cancerous. So, it is important to avoid eating barbecued food often to avoid health risks for yourself and your family.
What is the healthiest way to grill?
There are 5 useful tips to grill most healthily.
Always start clean: The burnt black buildup should be cleaned from your grill before having a meal. A wire brush aids in cleaning your grill. After cleaning, wipe down the charred with a compressed paper towel or a cloth, this procedure ensures that the grill-cleaning bristles neither get into your meal or your guests.
Fire and smoke: Protein-rich poultry, meat, and fish should not be exposed to open flames and high heat because it is responsible for creating heterocyclic amines. The fat dripping and burning on the grill causes smoke which consists of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
The already states two chemicals are associated with several types of cancer. Some ways can help you to reduce the creation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines: Use the perforated foil to line your grill, and Cook your meal at low temperature for a longer time. Always keep handy the spray bottle of water for managing fatty flare-ups.
Marinating is important: The process of marinating food for some time before cooking helps in controlling the creation of potential carcinogens at the time of grilling. Marinating food for a while before cooking limits the formation of potential carcinogens while grilling. The recipes plentiful for healthy marinades will make your meal flavorsome.
Consider fruits and vegetables over meat too: The flavor of vegetables and fruits is intensified by grilling, likely for meat. Kebabs with peppers, pieces of onions, or chicken kebab with some Moorish flavor. These are a great way of increasing the intake of vegetables in fruits in your meal. Else, you can skip the meat and just have mushroom steak sandwiches.
Practice safe and healthy grilling: The vegetables and all the other food must be kept separate from raw poultry, meat, and seafood. The food thermometer is useful in checking the internal warmth of grilled poultry, meat, and seafood. The grilled foods should be kept on clean plates, not the ones you use to keep raw food
What is the difference between a BBQ and a smoker?
The process of BBQ requires the slow-cooking of meat at a very low temperature in between 190-300 F either through direct or indirect heat over charcoal or wood, which are usually done on bigger cuts of meat. To infuse a little smoke in your BBQ, you would require to add wood chunks or chips and replenish them at the time of cooking too.
While smoking also requires slow-cooking of the meat at a temperature that is far much lower than the BBQ technique, i.e. around 125-175 F by using only hot smoke through indirect heat to infuse the flavor of smoke in the meat along with cooking it all ways.
Both smokers and BBQ appliances are very useful tools. Purchasing any of them or both will rely on your purpose of cooking and availability. So, if you have limited time to cook, then a barbecue is best for you. It will provide you with smoke-flavored meat within a short time. While purchasing a smoker is an intelligent choice for the ones with available time and is also a smart choice for those who like to smoke cheese or want to make beef jerky.